Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ten Things to Love and Hate About Obama

Ten Things to Love and Hate About Obama
My parents taught me to be fair-minded, so I try to find the good in everyone and everything.  For this I am oft-criticized, but it’s a part of my DNA.   When the topic is politics, I’m from the “everyone-gets-a-clean-slate” school of thinking.  I will confess I had a tad bit of optimism two years ago after Barack Obama was first elected, but I’ll further confess that almost immediately I began to develop a rather unhealthy loathing of nearly everything he has done.
Nonetheless, in the interest of bi-partisanship on this election eve, I hereby submit an entry that will make both Bill O’Reilly and Rachel Maddow hate me at the same time.  Here we go:  Ten Things to Love and Hate About Barack Obama (alternating between love and hate to keep it fair and balanced).
Love:   He’s OUR President   I’m from a rather patriotic family and we were always taught to support the man in authority.  Truthfully, I’ve never understood wanting to see someone fail, and I had hoped that Obama could unite the country.  It hasn’t happened, but it won’t stop me from rooting for him to succeed.
Hate:  He Smokes!   I can’t recall the last time we had a smoking president in the White House (one who inhaled anyway).  The fact that Obama has made Health Care his signature calling card, but has continued to drag on heaters, is amazing to me.  The press has given the Puffer-in-Chief a free pass for this, and he should make smoking cessation his midterm resolution.

Love:  He’s black – I know that Bill Clinton told us he was America’s first black president, but I think Obama has him dead to rights on this one.  Even without a suitable birth certificate, Obama has convinced Harry Reid (!) and others that he is African American.  All joking aside, I can remember thinking just 10 years ago, “I wonder if I’ll live to see a black president. “    Conservative or liberal, you should feel good about this important step in our nation’s history.
Hate:  He’s Arrogant – I suppose Presidents are not unlike heart surgeons in this regard.  I mean, we really don’t want a milquetoast for President.  But man, Prez, a little recognition of your own humanity might be a good start.  Never has a sitting president continued to blame previous administrations for all of his problems like Obama has.  Too much hubris makes Barry a one-term POTUS.  Earth to Barack:  Brett Favre called and said to get over yourself.
Love:  The Prez is Cool!  Let’s face it, compared to John McCain, Bob Dole was cool.  But beyond that, Obama is a hipster.  The Prez tweets!  The Prez has a Blackberry!  The Prez goes shirtless on the beach and is buff.  The Prez is a baller.  If American machismo is directly related to who’s in the Oval Office, then Europe is Potsie and America is now the Fonz.

Hate:  He’s got Shady friends – There’s a long trail of creeps in Obama’s past.  William Ayers.  Jeremiah Wright.  Rahm Emmanuel.  Chicago politics has never been known for its straight-laced politicians.  And as bad as the aforementioned guys are, I haven’t even mentioned Governor Bloggo yet. 
Love:  He’s got a dog – Look, Obama could have had any pet, including a cat.  He chose a dog, and that’s cool.  And the dog’s name is Bo.  That’s Bo Obama, if you need him.    Enough said. 
Hate:  He’s an Apologist – For me, there was nothing more offensive than to watch Obama use taxpayer money (and Air Force One) to jet around the world and apologize for American “transgressions.”  His first 100 days included his “apology tour” where he claimed America “…has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive” towards the world.    Michael Moore can do this.  Our president cannot.
Love:  He’s a true Believer – I have some admiration for Obama’s determination in plowing through health care.  He was stubborn and dismissed the polls, believing that passing health care was his oath to those who voted for him.   Despite opposition, he rammed it home and has likely cost himself the house and maybe the senate in the process.  I have it on good account that Obama is not consumed with winning a second term.  For this he is unique and has my admiration.
Hate:  He’s a True Believer – That’s not a typo.  That same zealousness that garners my admiration stokes my anger.  Obama has a sincere disdain for business, and has never held a job in the private sector.  He believes that if government wasn’t the right answer the first time, more government is the next solution.  Liberal?  The First Hoopster is so liberal he refuses to go right. 
So there you have it.  Have I missed a significant item to like or dislike?  Join this blog and provide some feedback, or hit my Twitter at www.twitter.com/kshawsby or comment on my Facebook page.  And above all else, Vote on Tuesday!
Talk to you AfterWords…

2 comments:

  1. Here's another 'Dislike' (if I use the word 'hate' my daughter will call me a hater). He believes it's his responsibiilty to "return America's wealth to its rightful owners". Capitalism has no doubt resulted in quite a disparity in outcomes (some with much & other with little) but the Marxist redistributionist philsophy is terminally destructive. The nation can withstand attacks from the outside (because they cause us to come together). But the republic cannot long endure if one citizen is pitted against the other using envy & jealousy. Stoking these emotions might get one elected a few times but they cause deep wounds that do not naturally heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Brian, this all comes with being a true believer. Class envy is one of the more loathsome by-products of liberal theology.

    ReplyDelete